Main Navigation

 photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-Home.png photo HiSugarplum-Projects.png photo HiSugarplum-Organize.png photo HiSugarplum-Holiday.png photo HiSugarplum-Fashion.png photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-travel.png

Ad - Header Leaderboard

Monday, July 26, 2010

Some Like it Hot!

It is absolultely hot as blazes here, but we lucked out with a couple of weeks of tolerable weather and a lot of rain this month. So instead of everything looking like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree right now, our backyard is positively flourishing. After many years of watching my flowers shrivel up in the unforgiving Texas sun, I've finally learned what is most heat tolerant in my shadeless backyard.

hibiscus
Hibiscus "Feed me Seymour!" (10 pts for whomever can name that movie)

lantana
Lantana

sweet potato vine
Sweet Potato Vine, trained to 'creep'

marigolds
Marigolds (disclaimer: I have actually never planted these, they grow wild in this little gravel spot every year...so apparently they like it hot!)

snapdragon and salvia
Snapdragons and Salvia

crepe myrtle
Crepe Myrtle bushes

yellow belle
Yellow Belles

fern
Ferns -- I hang these from the lower tree branches, so they do get shade.

vine
Creeper Vine -- I'm sure there is a more technical term for this one. Mr. Sugarplum put a trellis over the electric meter and this thing has attacked it...completely covered in 2 years. I have to trim it constantly to prevent it from eating the cable dish for lunch.

texas sage
Texas Sage -- the hotter it gets, the more flowers these produce. They line the freeways here and are beautiful.

sweet potato vines
More Sweet Potato Vine -- this one groomed for fullness

Don't get me wrong, these flowers need watering every day. But they aren't heat-sissies and will hang with you if you take moderate care of them.

When we moved to this house five years ago, the backyard was a bare, hot desert with 6-foot prickery bushes:

backyard before

Here it is today...much more lush I think:

backyard now

And the other end of the pool is a favorite spot now with the new addition of these inherited butterfly chairs:

butterfly chairs
thanks poppoo!

How's your backyard looking now...with August just around the corner?

2 comments:

  1. Oh. my. gosh. your backyard is beeeeeeuuuuuutiful! We have heat and lots of humidity here in Ky. It's hard to find the right plants. I'm itching to get outside - Spring where are you?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! I love your yard and the inherited butterfly chairs are to die for !
    You can see my garden on this link on my blog if you want to take a look !!
    Front garden : link :

    http://moderncountrylady.blogspot.com/2010/10/the-fun-is-in-journey-seed-catalogues.html

    back garden : link :


    http://moderncountrylady.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-garden-look-back-over-year.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. xoxo, cass

Google Analytics

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

rS tracking code

 

design + development by fabulous k