Main Navigation

 photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-Home.png photo HiSugarplum-Projects.png photo HiSugarplum-Organize.png photo HiSugarplum-Holiday.png photo HiSugarplum-Fashion.png photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-travel.png

Ad - Header Leaderboard

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

{Christmas DIY} Magnolia Wreath

I think all my projects are starting to catch up with me...I actually fell asleep twice during the massage on my hooker hookie day with Mama Sugarplum yesterday!!?? I'm sure it had nothing to do with the huge fajita feast we had first. But we did have a great time, and thanks for the sweet comments.

Remember when I knocked-off Ballard's Burlap Vases? I love perusing home catalogs and being struck with the hope knowledge that I can reproduce something similar....for, of course, much cheaper!

I loved this Magnolia Wreath in the latest Pottery Barn Catalog, but didn't love the $99 price tag:

pb wreath room
(Don't think I'm not eyeballing the metallic wreath too!)

Especially since I have a Magnolia tree in my backyard! Mr. Sugarplum spends the summer cursing it for dropping little pods in the pool, but I'm pretty thrilled about having it right now!

100_1705
(Note to self: wash windows and reposition rug pad!)

Let's start with what you need...ring form, glue gun and a mini-pile of glue sticks, Command hook...and of course, Magnolia leaves. I had Mr. Sugarplum do some unnecessary pruning on our tree, plucked off the leaves, then hosed them down in the kitchen sink (in case there were any critters).
Picnik collage

Once the leaves were dry, I attached them one at  time with only a dab of glue. They are placed on an angle around the circumference, then I glued a second, staggered layer. I prefer the leaves without the extra stem, so I just snipped those off.

Picnik collage

Next I flipped the wreath over and glued a layer around the back. These leaves only protruded the center of the wreath by a couple of inches and were placed at the opposite angle of the front layer.
Picnik collage

The leaves set very quickly so there is no wait time between layers. Finally, I flipped the wreath back over and glued a ring of smaller leaves around the middle to cover the base of the stems.

100_1695

A little ribbon attached to a handy-dandy Command hook, and you're good to go!

100_1703

The leaves have a gorgeous natural shine, and the color is so fresh and vibrant. We don't have a real Christmas tree, so I love being able to bring some natural elements in elsewhere.

Picnik collage

We aren't spending a lot of time in the backyard these chilly days, but if we were, the wreath would be a pretty view from the back as well.

Picnik collage
(oops, nice reflection of crazy crafter in her pajamas!)

I had leftover supplies, so I made a smaller version for the picture window in the breakfast room. You can see the Command hook I used (those things are genius!):

Picnik collage

Oh! And did I mention my version was only $2? I only had to buy the ring....glue and ribbon I had on hand, and nature provided the leaves. How do you think they compare?

Picnik collage

100_1704

44 comments:

  1. Love it! It will be beautiful once it dries too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite DIY so far this fall/winter. $2! simple 3 (4?) step process! simple elegant natural aesthetic! Even I, a low-maintenance minimalist with zero initiative, could wow the fam with this project. It shouldn't even be called a project, except to the kids who will be the ones gathering the leaves. YES! Thank you Cassie!
    xo
    nina

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! I think I need to steal a branch from my parents magnolia and do this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUPER cute (of course)! You could even paint them like the PB version if they dry out after awhile. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so beautiful. Great job. I wish I had a magnolia tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! I bought a magnolia wreath from a tree farm 4 years ago for $80. It turn brown 1 year later but now it is the perfect fall wreath. I hope yours holds up as well as mine has. I store it in a box so that nothing can break the crispy leave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello my little elf. Way better than the original. We are rockin' the faux Christmas tree over here as well . . . do you know that I completely forgot we have a magnolia tree in our year. It never blooms well, but sure does have those gorgeous leaves. Thanks for the how to my friend. I think I will make two for my French doors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job, it really looks good. My sister and I always drool over this room in the catalog. You made it look easy, I might just try my luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the natural simplicity of this wreath- and the white bow is perfect!!! it's beautiful, cassie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a magnolia tree myself, but seeing all of these great wreaths made from their leaves makes me want to swipe some from my neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. VERY pretty!! I love the bright green color. Magnolia trees are my fave :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really lovin' the vibrant green of the leaves, especially beautiful as winter sets in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, I like yours better...and $2?!?! Amazing. I love bringing in the outdoors, fresh greenery just adds an element that nothing else can. I'm lovin' it!

    http://loveallthingsbrightandbeautiful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your wreath better than the original! Now this is a project I can do today! We have magnolia trees so this is perfect. I love your simple white bow. Nice simple and elegant! Thank you for theinspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. At the risk of copying. I love it! How fantastic to use something from your own garden, that's free and green. Clearly it will look great brown too. I couldn't help but think what a great Grecian head piece you could create with those leaves and a toga. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! I made a dried magnolia wreath for the fall, but I love the way the light streams in through the green, it's gorgeous! I think this means I have to make another trip to my mother's house to get more leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're making me want to "borrow" some leaves from the neighbor's yard! That's great to have a magnolia tree in your backyard! $2 never looked so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cassie you are so clever - I'm going to go hunting in the garden this weekend to see what leaves i can use for this project!
    Rachie xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this idea!! Now, if only I had some trees with leaves on them! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so pretty! Gosh you're so clever! And, frankly, I much prefer your green one to the brown PB one. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is gorgeous! I love the vibrant color! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just beautiful!! Simple, natural and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad that you posted this DIY. I was just thinking about making one of these this weekend! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's awesome, Cassie! And a great price, too. I love the bright green and freshness it offers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah I love that! And I even have 2 magnolia trees in the back yard. Why haven't I done this yet??

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks fab! We had a magnolia tree in our backyard growing up, so I've always love the blooms and the leaves. Your wreaths are great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. awesome! i have a trash bin and at times two stray cats in my backyard...i want to see what wreath you come up with that :)

    but seriously, i love magnolia leaves and think the liver greenery is the perfect accent to your sunny room.

    kudos! and on a different note, i have another wreath project i am highlighting tomorrow! great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That wreath looks amazing!! I just might have to try to recreate that but I am so not crafty! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it (I'm a Mississippi girl). Can't wait to try this next year!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this! I just created a magnolia wreath of my own a week ago and I saw yours on the link party!

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE it - we have magnolias in our new yard, I will have to try this next year once the trees are mature!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the wreath. Oh I would love a Magnolia tree. .of course that would mean I was living in a warmer climate and that would be truly great!
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is absolutely beautiful! The magnolia tree is one of my favorites, and you surely made great use of the beautiful leaves.

    JRFrugalMom from
    Frugality Is Free

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your wreath is adorable ~ I love it!

    I am hosting a new linky party on Wednesdays ~ FALL in Love With Your Home. I'd love for you to join in the fun.

    Have a very happy Labor day!

    ReplyDelete
  35. yours is better than pottery barns. nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You've been featured in TOP THAT.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my gosh!! I love,love,LOVE this!! I wish I had a magnolia tree up here in Illinois! Wanna ship me some leaves?? ;) -jk

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love it! I love the price tag, too. The sun looks so nice coming through the door. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great job! If you want to add a little shine or just to keep your leaves a bit longer, you can rub them with a little bit of oil (baby, vegetable, any kind really).

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is such a lovely alternative to an evergreen wreath. The colour is really pretty! Can't wait to give it a go. In the spirit of all things xmassy, here's some of the coolest Xmas Tees around, enjoy :) http://bit.ly/XEPHxl

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am so excited! We just moved into a new home with a magnolia tree in the yard. I am SO going to make a wreath for our front door. I think it will look great in the spring as well as for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. And unfortunately, because of insane amounts of spam, I've had to disable Anonymous comments for awhile. I just didn't need any more information on penis enlargements! But you can always email me! xoxo, cass

Google Analytics

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

rS tracking code

 

design + development by fabulous k