Main Navigation

 photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-Home.png photo HiSugarplum-Projects.png photo HiSugarplum-Organize.png photo HiSugarplum-Holiday.png photo HiSugarplum-Fashion.png photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-travel.png

Ad - Header Leaderboard

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

{Babygirl's Room} Finding Color Inspiration

Lots of you have been not so subtly commenting about seeing progress on Babygirl's Room. I'll admit I've been a bit overwhelmed with trying to complete her Big Girl Room makeover, and organize the posts for it. The projects have been completed in spurts and I'm way behind on keeping you updated. So I'll just jump feet-first and start with the inspiration.

The design of my Son's Room came quickly and easily to me, so I was nervous when I had absolutely NO IDEA what to do for my daughter's transition from Nursery to Big Girl Room. So I took to the internets and scoured room pictures for inspiration....not little girl rooms, but gorgeous rooms in general. I saved close to 100 in an online file before I finally realized exactly what I wanted to do.

I knew I didn't want a typical 'little girl color,' and these gorgeous aqua walls really bring the perfect blend of calm and neutral, but with plenty of fun.

aqua with black - domino
(domino)

lotusbleu2
(lotusbleu)

blue room gallery - design sponge
(design sponge)

Ooooooh, and check out this pop of yellow with the aqua! My wheels started spinning a little faster.

more aqua - house and home
(house & home)

blue yellow - colour me happy office
(colour me happy)


aqua and yellow


yellow table - tommy smythe
(Tommy Smythe)

And while I'm no stranger to color, I figured I'd stop with aqua and yellow. Until I spotted these images and my heart flew up into my throat (yes, pictures of pretty rooms affect me this way!)

katespade gallery wall
(Kate Spade)

aqua pink - house to home
(House to Home)

pb teen room
(Pottery Barn Teen)

canadian house and home
(Canadian House & Home)

emily clark3
(Emily A Clark)

Radish Pink combined with the aqua?! Yes, please! (Um yeah, the color combo is slightly familiar, seeing as how I hosed my blog down in it!!) And once I re-discovered this classic Domino room, I knew I'd found the design of Babygirl's New Room!!

aqua red - domino
(Domino)

Jill Sorenson of Marmalade Interiors (and author of one of my favorite blogs Live Like You), blended the three colors beautifully. Her design convinced me the scheme of Aqua, Radish and Bright Yellow was the perfect combination of fun and vibrancy for my spunky Babygirl! I was instantly smitten....and inspired!

Jill Sorensen
(Marmalade Interiors)

I could seriously lick these rooms they make me so happy!

 
aqua hot pink - live like you
(Marmalade Interiors)

I first brought home a sample of Sherwin Williams Composed (SW6472). It's more green than yellow, but I wanted to be sure the color had no trace of Baby Blue.


I tried it in the closet and loved the color, but realized it was too dark.

100_1066

Her room is already natural-light-challenged due to the single, narrow window. So I slid up the color swatch and decided on Sherwin Williams Waterscape (SW6470).



I absolutely love it!!! Here's a peek of the walls with the Bright Yellow Highboy and Radish Pink Bed.

100_2178

What do you think? Do you like the direction it's going? I'm excited to have this ball rolling again, and promise to get you caught up with the room soon!


41 comments:

  1. I really love how you took a unique direction with her room and not just pretty pink & tulle. She's going to be one artsy 'big' girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way it is looking so far! I also love when people don't do typical kids rooms. They deserve good design, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving the mix of colors. You are doing a great job with her room. I am looking forward to seeing it all done. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your color choices. I actually just painted over SW Waterscape in my office. I love the color, I found that in flat it looked a bit worn after a few years. I have recently changed to semi-gloss for that reason. The color goes great with white trim and really is a beautiful shade of blue/green. You could probably see it in pictures of my office before i redid it. http://jandjhome.blogspot.com/2011/01/office-makeover.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking great...can't wait to see more! Love the Emily A. Clark room you showed too! Janell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, love the direction! I can't wait to see a full view of that armoire! Looking good girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont just like it - I totally love it! Those colours look so great together! Cant wait to see it when its finished!
    Rachie xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it - I was thinking yellow/aqua was perfect and then when you showed the pink added in - LOVE :) Those Marmalade Interiors - SWOON!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am loving what i see so far! i can't wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pale aqua, with red and that fantastic yellow cabinet you painted! Can't wait to see the full reveal!! So happy my guest bedroom gave you some inspiration!! I just posted my living room paint job today...turquoise..was afraid to go too dark, but went dark after all...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I can't wait to see it all come together. I'm sure I'll want to lick the picture. LOL! You seriously started my day with a big, giant chuckle! Thank you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's looking really fabulous- can't wait to see it all finished! I loooove that yellow dresser:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love where you're going with this! Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it, love it, love it! Do you think my boys would like their room in the same colors, just kidding! Oh, to have a little girl.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those inspiration photos! And the idea of you licking those rooms is too funny. Can't wait to see all the updates. I love the color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the color combination you're going with. It's looking great! Your daughter is going to have one fun room! I look forward to seeing more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is going to love it! And, you're smart to go with a color scheme she can grow with!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My bedroom walls are the color of the first picture you posted and I love them. I think you made a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love it so far! so fun!! she's going to love it! i can't wait to see more!!

    head over to my blog, i'm having a giveaway! it ends tomorrow!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks great!! Loving the colour combo! When my parents first let me sort of help with re-doing my room when I was 10-ish I chose a very similar colour scheme haha Great minds think alike!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all those colors - they work so well together! Great "pop" for a little girls room! Can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love what you are doing with the room!! Looks like a fun space for a "big" girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am quite enjoying the color choices! It is similar to the nursery I am helping a friend design - turquoise, yellow and rather than pink it's navy and green. Great minds think alike...

    ReplyDelete
  24. love already! i want to do a turquoise and yellow room in my next house, and i'm loving the pink with it too. can't wait to see the finished room.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh boy, I want that in MY room! The colours are so sweet and delicious (yep, delicious!). It's looking fantastic, Cassie!

    And don't worry, I'm pretty sure this is how rooms get done in real life - it doesn't just happen over night! The sneak peak looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yep, I like how you are keepin' it real...I'm pretty sure I've been trying to finish my baby girl's room for about 5 months now. Awesome, right? I'm totally in love with that pink headboard...waiting on pins and needles! (c:

    http://loveallthingsbrightandbeautiful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE IT - so fun and bright - and dare I say a little sassy :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness I LOVE those rooms. Such great combinations and I want to use those colors too. Her room is looking great, and that pink headboard is pretty fabulous. Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE all of those colors together! I was thinking aqua and pink if our baby's a girl, and these photos just made me melt!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is perfection! All of those inspiration photos are awesome! Can't wait to see the progress. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That pink headboard is seriously awesome! And I'm laughing too envisioning you licking the rooms! Just curious how you save all your inspiration images. . .

    ReplyDelete
  32. ok I was going to comment just from one of the pictures..then i kept scrolling and was like OH EM GEE i love this too!!
    ok i am in love with both offices & the kate spade room!!! oh MY gosh!!! and ahhhh the mamalade interior yellow & purple room...i want it to be mine!!
    such great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  33. With all those lovely rooms of inspiration you'll never go wrong. And do share photos when done:)

    I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Aaahhh...so many lovely choices...only one room! Can't wait to see!
    Kristina J.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh wow! I LOVE it! I loved seeing the inspiration file. And the color scheme is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is the same route I'm going for in my daughter's room! I've been putting off painting because I was nervous about finding the right blue (don't really want pastel...more of a grey-blue because her room is also our guestroom when the grand-p's are in town). But you've motivated me and it's off to buy paint this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The second photo is a little girly but I can consider it as an inspiration for my home office project at home. My husband wouldn't be happy with a pink wall, I'm sure. Yet, when I told him that the color combination of white and pink is my choice, his reaction changed. He loves white and blue combination, that's why. Since it's my home office, there's no reason he wouldn't allow a pink and white combination.

    My sister prepared the design and her inspiration stems from a cozy office space in Charlotte, NC. She's planning of designing a cozy and modern office space. Charlotte, NC is where we live so it is obvious that we're so inspired of the beauty found in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What great colour inspiration!

    Please feel free to link back to us at www.houseandhome.com

    Thanks so much!

    Seema Persaud

    ReplyDelete
  39. Whoa! In a room makeover, you can pick out ideas from various room designs like the home office, the living room and the bedroom. Then, when you put them all together, a work of art can be made. And I can see it in your room. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. xoxo, cass

Google Analytics

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

rS tracking code

 

design + development by fabulous k