{Crafty Cassie} Monogramming the Pelmet

Thursday, March 24, 2011

So yesterday we made the pelmet for Babygirl's window. Today we're going to pimp it out with a monogram!! Oh yeah! (Some of you savvy readers noticed the monogram in my sketch yesterday. Nice eye!) If you recall, the original plan was to put a monogram on the headboard:



But once the mattresses, bedding and no-sew throw pillows were in place, it was obvious a monogram would be lost on the headboard.


I was determined to find a place for her monogram in the room, and was thrilled when my clever mom suggested I put one on her window pelmet!! Then the search for how to actually do it began! Just when I thought I'd have to have the fabric embroidered, I found the fabulous Shannon Berrey's tutorial on how she created these amazing lampshades!

Shannon Berrey 
(I die for this room!!)


The talented Kristin provided further inspiration with her version of monogrammed pillows!

kfd designs 

First step is to create your monogram on paper. I was fortunate that Etsy seller, Gift Chick, had provided me with a monogram proof (for the original headboard decal). So all I had to do was choose one and enlarge it on the copier.


You could also create one on the computer, by hand-sketch, or those nifty Silhouette machines so many of you brats seem to have! I tried multiple sizes before settling on one with the best proportion to the pelmet.

100_2974

Determine which side of the felt you want to show, then turn it face down. Please your paper letters face down on the backside of your felt. I used a little glue stick to help hold them in place while I traced.

100_2975

I traced the backside of the letters so I wouldn't have to worry about marks showing.

100_2976

If you use really good fabric scissors, then you'll get a clean cut in the felt. Those ratty kitchen scissors you use to open boxes and cut flower stems will only shred the felt. Flip your letters over and clean up any weird cuts and angles, and make sure everything aligns the way you want.

100_2978

Find the center of the pelmet and place the middle letter there with a light layer of fabric glue. Position the other two letters the same way.

100_2979

I love the perfect amount of texture and dimension the felt adds. It definitely doesn't look "crafty".

100_2981

In fact, I think it looks even more professional than embroidery! (toot toot)

100_2982

We gave the pelmet a few days for the glue to dry, and to be sure the L-brackets weren't going anywhere. I'm thrilled to announce it is installed and so-far-so-good! 

A stomach bug struck my son the other night (why is it always in the middle of the night?!?!), so I haven't been able to get decent pictures yet (very limited good light in Babygirl's Room since the single window faces west). And I'm just a big, fat tease...so you'll have to wait to see the full window. Muahahahahaha. Hopefully tomorrow.

Do you love this monogram method? Is your mind spinning with all the things you could brand?! Do tell!


Update: See the final window with pelmet in place here!


Pin It!


36 witty retorts:

  1. Maybe it's a southern thing, but I'm addicted to monograming everything and anything. My husband prays I don't ever win a Silhouette because I may just go on a monograming spree around the house. I really love everything you've done in this room & your crafty ideas! Can't wait to see the window tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope i'm english and i also love a monogram!! Looks so cool - cant wait to see the final reveal too xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I like it here and not on the headboard...I need to try this! Janell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your monogram turned out great Cassie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just did a bunch of felt "appliques" on kids costumes... Using spray adhesive works GREAT! No bumps or bubbles from glue and repositionable until you press firmly, then it's permanent. I top-stitched around the edges but you don't need to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HECK. YEAH. Cass, such a good job! I might need to try this on a pillow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also want to jump on the monogram train, love the pelmet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha Cassie, how did you know?? I definitely want to try my hand at monogrammed pillows. Or maybe a painting? So many fab ideas :D Can't wait to see the pelmet up!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh yes my head is spinning with all the things I can monogram! How fantastic is this!

    Thanks for a great tutorial :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE IT! It looks so good, really preppy and classic. I photoshopped my and my husband's monogram and cut it out of freezer paper... and that's as far as I got. It's hanging out waiting for the right project :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I'm with Elsa...my poor hubby cringed at my label maker!!! It turned out great Cassie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, awesome. I am totally going to try this on my desk lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way it turned out. Such a great method.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, hello gorgeous! I love me some monogramming and I am actually just staring at those lampshades! I can definitely see why you love that room, I'm developing quite the crush myself...(c:

    ReplyDelete
  15. love that it doesn't look "crafty" :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this - and so much more dramatic than on the headboard...however, Gift Chick has moved to Abu Dhabi (!) - any other sources for monos? Thx - Ali

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh it looks soooo good - so excited for the reveal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. When do you sleep? do you think our kids ealize how much thought and effort we put into EVERY detail? I asked my husband, "what would it be like to buy something and NOT alter it before using it? "HA!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oooo how swanky!! A girl from the south ALWAYS loves a good monogram! My mind is definitely spinning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not crazy about monogramming perhaps because putting my initials on crap reminds me of my days in boot camp. But I will say it does look rather lovely in these rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are ridiculous! I am always happily surprised when I go to your blog and you have another amazing post day after day!!! Do you work full time? If so you are my hero! How do you find the time!?! Im a SAHM and still dont find the time! I must be doing something wrong ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are ridiculous! I am always happily surprised when I go to your blog and you have another amazing post day after day!!! Do you work full time? If so you are my hero! How do you find the time!?! Im a SAHM and still dont find the time! I must be doing something wrong ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it! You have my brain whirling about what to do now. Hmmm..... Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It turned out great, Cassie! I love it. Can you swing by and bust one out for my baby girl???

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks awesome Cassie!! Can't wait to see it in your room. Thanks for sharing the little girls room I designed!
    Shannon Berrey Designs
    www.shannonberrey.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow that is awesome. I'm trying to figure out where I can use that idea in our house... I do love, love, love, a good monogram.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! Fabulous! It definitely does not look crafty. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE IT!! What a cute fun colorful dream room for your little girl. Will she participate in my series? Or your son with his fab room?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it, looks great! I've been considering doing one on a lamp shade. Does the felt look pretty good in person?

    ReplyDelete
  30. SO cute. and thanks for the shoutout!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks awesome! Monogramming makes everything better (at least that's my motto). Can't wait to FINALLY see the reveal (such anticipation!).

    ReplyDelete
  32. I adore your monogram curtain in your little girls room-Just spyed it in Better After and have posted about it on my blog tomorrow-fyi!!
    The room looks truly amazing-lucky little girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm loving checking out your Best Of 2011 - I always come back to look at your pelmet - so amazing, and I am in awe that you did it with foam core and duct tape. I just love it! We have the perfect baby girl's room window for it too! I did a large felt monogram on my shower curtain and it was so fun! I love how it looks. Can't wait to see what you do in 2012!!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. And unfortunately, because of insane amounts of spam, I've had to disable Anonymous comments for awhile. I just didn't need any more information on penis enlargements! But you can always email me! xoxo, cass