Main Navigation

 photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-Home.png photo HiSugarplum-Projects.png photo HiSugarplum-Organize.png photo HiSugarplum-Holiday.png photo HiSugarplum-Fashion.png photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-travel.png

Ad - Header Leaderboard

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

How to Fake Crown Molding, Part II

Are you ready to be mildly wildly impressed?!? Are you like me and easily wooed by an easy and inexpensive DIY project? Then today's mega-post is for you!

A major component in Babygirl's Room is complete....the Faux Crown Molding!!

100_2929

Love it? What if I told you the total cost was $30?!? Now you're impressed! Here's the 'How-To.'

I'll save you oodles of time wandering the aisles of Home Depot, while on the phone describing every possible option to your aunt, and just tell you what to get!


Picnik collage

This 1-inch trim is literally like a condensed foam (you could dent it with your fingernail), weighs virtually nothing, comes in 8-foot strips, and costs $2.38 each!

First measure the perimeter of your room, then double it (for two rows of trim). Then divide that number by 8 (length of each trim piece). That's how many pieces of trim you'll need. I needed 95 feet, or 12 pieces, for a total cost of $29! I was feeling spendy and picked up an extra piece in case I goofed.

I'll help you out again and tell you that even though these things are light as a feather, they do not want to be glued to the wall (even if you tape them in place and curse them up and down). But since they are so lightweight, and not a solid material, a simple finishing nail with a little teeth is all you need to adhere them to the wall.


Picnik collage


Most average rooms will require very few cuts since there are 4 straight walls and these pieces are so long. Babygirl's Room has a bit of an alcove where the door is, so we had some smaller sections to contend with.

First I started with a full 8-foot piece and hung it by tapping in a nail every 18-24 inches. I did this on all the main walls and was left with a single space on each wall that required a smaller piece (plus the alcove).

To cut smaller pieces, simply measure the space and follow this pictorial demonstrated by my cute helper:


Picnik collage

Don't worry if it's not a completely clean break. Mr. Sugarplum rubbed a little spackle (so much easier than caulk) over the seams to bridge the gaps, then lightly sanded it down once dry. I didn't bother covering the nails since they are white and teeny-tiny, you don't even see them from the floor.


Picnik collage

Of course I found some discrepancies in the wall and the trim bowed in a few spots. No problem, just tap in a nail and it will lay flat.,


Picnik collage

A few trips up-and-down the ladder, and Voila!


Picnik collage

I could have left it with just the stripe and it'd have a similar effect. But the trim gives it a little heft and dimension.

Picnik collage

Here's the process again (read about it here and here):

Picnik collage

I am thrilled with the outcome. I think it gives her room the added interest I was looking for, and my mishap became a blessing in disguise because I'm in love with the painted ceiling!


Picnik collage

True I could have installed a traditional crown molding...but it would have cost a lot more, and been extremely labor intensive (anything requiring a saw becomes too laborious for me!) My investment for this project was $30 in materials and a couple hours of time. And the trim pops out pretty easily and leaves only a pin hole if I change my mind later.

Here's the door alcove I mentioned (and a glimpse into the Dining Room, where drapery samples are taped up!)

100_2932

I love the mirror hanging over her door...it reminds me of a transom, and reflects the beautiful ceiling! I'm forcing myself to partially ignore the fabric samples laying all over my house until this room is complete.

So what do you think of my Faux Crown Molding? Do you have any faux treatments in your home?

74 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I would've never thought to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's genius Cassie. Need to put on my Facebook page today with your permission. What a great idea!! And I so love your daughter's yellow highboy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your faux crown molding looks great Cassie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you...do I now have to go add this to Isabella's room?! :) What a great idea and it really adds a lot of character. Janell

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing! I love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. JUST WHEN I THINK HER ROOM COULDN'T GET ANY CUTTER , IT DOES! GREAT JOB ! I THINK THE MIRROR TRANSOM IS VERY CLEVER.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That turned out awesome! Looks like everything is coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Cassie, there you go again impressing the socks off of me- this is RIDICULOUS...in the best sort of way. Gorgeous my dear and the fact that you only spent $30 is just incredible. I would never have thought to do this- very impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE it!! May have to consider this idea for my girls' rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great! The trim makes it that little more finished and fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!!! Genius! I am so doing this(in every room in my house, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd have to say that this is kind of genius! :) Brill! :) It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so good and right up my thrifty alley. We make good friends. BTW- the blue and white chevron would work really well :) Now, just DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I'm impressed! It turned out fantastic! I have faux wainscotting in my hallway and you'd never guess!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cassie, it looks great! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. SUCH a fab idea! Who couldn't afford $30 for a snazzy looking trim detail like that? I'll definitely be spreading the word on FB and Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an inventive idea! I'll have to bookmark this. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks great. I like it with the trim myself!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love the idea and it seems super quick!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love the idea and it seems super quick!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Look how swanky it looks!! And for 30 bucks and some elbow grease?? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have done this idea to beef up base boards and crown before and it works like a charm. When it is all painted the same color and finish, up that high you can not tell. Great idea!!! KS

    ReplyDelete
  24. You go Miss Smartypants! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just noticed how I like the contrast of the ceiling and wall colors, especially highlighted by the cute moulding. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome, Cassie! Never would have thought of this! So creative (:

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing!!! It looks just as good as official crown moulding! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love it! I especially love the finishing touch of the trim...that makes it for me! I like that it's just clean and simple...my kind of project! (c: You on with your bad self, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ok, this officially goes up on my "To Do List" for my craft room remodel next week! Brilliant, thanks so much for sharing!

    P.S. If I peaked your interest in the craft room remodel, you can read about it here!

    http://www.diyaddict.org/2011/02/tackling-ol-to-do-list-craft-room-part_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. Where do you come up with this stuff girl!? You are my DIY hero. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks great! The molding really does make it pop! Love it - I may have to copy you :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow. This room is looking great. I can't wait to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh man, brilliant idea!!

    And hey look, your blog hasn't blown up yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! I just wrote a post about this...but not in as much detail as you! I"ll let you know when it's up...this looks great, you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks fabulous! Perfectly easy for myself and my tool-challenged husband - ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a great idea and it looks so good! How fab! xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a great idea. I love how it looks. I would love for you to stop by my blog and link up this post to my Winter Blues Wednesday party. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  39. omg you are so brilliant! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Where the heck do you come up with these ideas? This is fab-u-lous.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You finished this up so beautifully! I also think the highboy is fab- and all the color you've used - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  42. You have no idea what perfect timing this post is for me. Our bedroom has a chair rail 5 inches from the ceiling..you know..where border used to be in the 80's? Now I know what to do with it now!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Clever idea! and I know you saved a ton of money becasue crown molding is sooooo expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Such ingenuity! It looks great and so much more affordable! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks for sharing! I may have to give this a go at my house now. I agree, anything requiring a saw is too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. It does add that special touch to the room. And I love the cost. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a great idea! I have been playing with the idea of adding crown in my house, but was not looking forward to the labor and tools involved. This sounds like something I could totally handle. Found you on Hooking up with HOH. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Ok I'll stop commenting on all of your posts that I missed throughout the week... but I just had to say, this is HAWT. GREAT job, Cassie! Genius idea.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Cassie this is amazing! I have to share this with my readers! I'll be featuring your tute on BCD Tomorrow! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  50. The room is looking wonderful! Keep the photos coming =)

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love this idea! I'm so saving this to try out in a few rooms!!! I found your blog at the DIY Showoff. You have such great ideas and I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me back: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/
    Again, you did a fantastic job with this!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wonderful! Thanks so very much for sharing this tip/trick! I think it would work really great in a small room, too. I'm following you now, and I'd love for you to come see me at:
    http://sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com
    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Love this! Such a dramatic change for such a small amount of money. Thanks for sharing! Oh and that picture of your daughter on the dresser is absolutely adorable. I love fun, non-posed pictures and have tons around our house of our girls. And only part of the reason is getting a 1 year old and 3 year old to pose is almost impossible! Thanks again for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I didn't know about the light weight trim. I'm going to use that for "framing" in my bedroom.

    Your daughter's room looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I LOVE this! Its FAB!!! Come on 'ova and share this at my Linky Par-Tay!

    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  56. Really cool! I'm not sure if I could get away with any crown molding in our house--faux or not, since are ceiling are actually LESS than 8 feet tall :p

    ReplyDelete
  57. This is such a fabulous idea! I want to do this at my house. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  58. This looks awesome and I think it's something I could do. Where did the fabric come into play?

    ReplyDelete
  59. Love it! Can't wait to try it... what did you do with the inside corners? Did you miter them... or did you place one piece on top of the other..? And how wide of a band did you paint the stripe? I have 8' ceilings..

    ReplyDelete
  60. I love milk duds! I like the idea a lot. Our client sent this to me for us to paint her daughter's room. If you want to add a quick crown molding, we like to use a bed moulding. The back of the molding lies flat againt the ceiling and wall like base mouldings so you can make easy corner cuts with a small miter saw.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I love this. Do you think it looks "real enough" for a living room? I would love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I have love love loved watching this room come together! This is super cool and easy!!!

    xoxo
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  63. Found this through pinterest... it's so genius I want to run out right now and do this to my living room today!!

    ReplyDelete
  64. OMG! What an awesome idea. Thank you thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  65. I LOVE this idea. I wonder how it would look in maybe a gold color to add a little bazam to my master bedroom....maybe I need to do a little trial and error photoshopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. Im so shocked the construction glue didn't hold...that stuff was powerful. The directions do state the material has to be porous - maybe this type of molding isn't?

    ReplyDelete
  67. Hi Cass - Love your DIY (found on pinterest) - not only is it a great idea, it's a fabulous tutorial. Great photos and clear instructions (no need to get lost in the sea of trim moulding at HD - you told me just what to buy - thanks so much!) I'm so doing this in my living room! The ceiling color is genius....I'm off to check out the rest of your blog, i'm guessing you have a lot more great tutorials :0) Lora

    ReplyDelete
  68. That's terrific! That first picture really creates an optical illusion too - I was wondering what the big angular smooth piece was (WALL). This is really a great example of the versatility of foam crown molding.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Well, this post of yours is older..and I just discovered it cause I am searching on "faux" molding. Now I have your WILDLY GREAT idea. This is JUST what I need. I just finished painting my room and I adore crown molding but am so broke no way I can get real wood. .or even the plaster stuff it seems. this is pretty, and SO easy, even a cavewoman like me can do it. I am so happy I found this.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. And unfortunately, because of insane amounts of spam, I've had to disable Anonymous comments for awhile. I just didn't need any more information on penis enlargements! But you can always email me! xoxo, cass

Google Analytics

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

rS tracking code

 

design + development by fabulous k