{DIY} No-Sew Fabric Pennant Banner

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

It's hard to believe, but I'm at the very end of the projects for Babygirl's Room. (You can catch up on them here.) I may actually finish this room! As it was coming together, my mom mentioned that while it was a great room, it didn't really look like a 5-year-old lived there. So I decided to add some more youthful and whimsical touches. Enter, the Fabric Banner!

100_4368


I'm no stranger to the banner. In fact I made a burlap one for Valentine's Day and a paper one for Babygirl's Pancakes & Pajamas Party. And since I had leftover fabric from her Stepstool and No-Sew Pillows, the project cost me nothing!

There are tutorials all over blogland, but here's mine.


fabric banner


1. Determine where you'll hang the banner, and cut a piece of ribbon the proper length. Allow enough extra to tie the ends and dip in the middle. Decide the size of each triangle and create a template.
2. Cut your triangles out of fabric (or paper, burlap, old baby blankets, onesies, etc). Using pinking shears for fun edges would be cute too.
3. Mark the center point of the ribbon (using a doll's hairbrush is optional), then arrange the triangles in the pattern you want working out from the center. Using a line of fabric glue, affix the ribbon to the top of each triangle.
I tacked this one from the top of Babygirl's closet frame.

100_4371


Definitely youthful, and a great way to repeat fabric patterns in the room.

100_4369


And since I opted to leave her closet doors off, the closet has a few extra touches too.

100_4372


Pennant Banners aren't just for kid's rooms. They are great for weddings, outdoors, parties and holidays. Here are a few of my favorites.


via


via



via



via



via

My clever friends Courtney and Megan each recently threw their sons the cutest birthday parties. And of course incorporated great banners!


A Thoughtful Place



Honey We're Home

So cute! Now all I lack in Babygirl's Room is figuring something out for her ceiling fan/light fixture! Of course I could replace it, but I'm going to try the DIY route first!

***Don't forget about the Blogger Anniversary Giveaway! Some talented ladies contributed to this big prize pack!

Pin It!


18 witty retorts:

  1. I'm loving these. I love the color combination. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how can they not just make you happy!!! i love them all! i made some last week and i want to hang them all over my house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be placing my order for one soon. However, I would prefer mine to read "Y'all Can Suck It" --I would string it along side of the house so my neighbors can read it every morning as they drive away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just ADORABLE!! Another great idea! Thinking a book of ideas/how to's soon...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! and seems kind of easy so perhaps even I could tackle this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I am a bunting-aholic. They are adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute -cant wait to see the finished room x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it over the closet - so fun and whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect fabric for the banner too! And thanks for the shout out, those banners from James' party are courtesy of Pretty Smitten and A Blissful Nest:) I linked to you today- I got the highchair you recommended!! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. please, stop being so cute.

    actually... no. keep being cute, but just come do it in texas for my sister's lingerie shower. i need your help! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. So adorable, Cassie. I love the color and pattern it adds to the room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is one trend that I can't get enough of. Such a fun way to add some whimsy to a space!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great, Cassie! It totally ties all those fantastic fabric together.

    I love bunting too, I had some up for my sis's baby shower and my mantel seemed so bare once I took it down!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute! Love all the fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is adorable. I love the fabrics as well. I have a little crush on these banners right now. Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea, thanks for posting. For some reason, I feel the same way. I am addicted to these things! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're my hero right now. I've been trying to figure out how to make these for my wedding because I don't have access to a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. And unfortunately, because of insane amounts of spam, I've had to disable Anonymous comments for awhile. I just didn't need any more information on penis enlargements! But you can always email me! xoxo, cass