{Living Room} Blue Beauty

Monday, August 29, 2011

Hello lovies! Did you have a fabulous weekend? Do you have some great new throw pillows coming your way? My painting hiatus ended this weekend as I finally painted the beastly armoire in our Living Room.

living room plan

After collecting lots of inspiration (shown in this post), I decided on Martha Stewart Plummage (color matched to Behr paint). I have no experience with Martha's paint, I am just comfortable with Behr.

Isn't she pretty?!? I think she's officially lost her nickname, "The Beast." Perhaps I should call her, "Beauty."

100_5205 


After the experience I had painting the bookcases, which are a similar pine, I decided to try a different route with the paint. After giving her a good cleaning, I rolled on a thick layer of primer (read about my favorite brand here).

100_4958
Yes, we store our Christmas tree in it! And games. And random decor. Told you it was big! TWSS


I didn't see any point in painting the inside. But my goal was to just get it done! And the thought of emptying it out made me tired.


100_4959

Since the armoire is so big, I wasn't able to move it far, or place paper under the legs. So when it came time to paint the feet, I slid a notecard under and painted with a small art brush.

100_4961


Since I covered the wood completely with the primer, it only required two coats of Behr Latex in an eggshell finish. I used a foam roller for the flat surfaces, and an angled Purvy brush for the nooks and crannies. The hinges and hardware are literally branded in to the wood, so I just painted around them with a tiny art brush. So much for switching them out.


100_5199 

I can't believe the difference! And once again, I'm left wondering what the heck took me so long to paint this thing?!?! And I even like the hardware now. The texture and weight of the armoire is still fairly rustic, so I don't think slick new hardware would look good anyway.


armoire b&a

Another unexpected bonus, is how the blue in the armoire connects with the blue undertones of the wingchair. Since recovering the wingchair isn't part of The Plans, I'm thrilled that it blends with the room more smoothly now.

armoire/armchair

Flashing back to a Before shot:

100_2995 

And now with Blue Beauty. You'll also notice I did a chair switcheroo, and cleaned up the wall between the fireplace and armoire.



I much prefer the cane barrel chair here, as it doesn't block the fireplace like the taller wingchair. A sheepskin throw and pillow add some interest until I can decide what fabric to recover the cushions in.

And that's another item, crossed off the list! I've linked what's been done so far if you need to catch up. What do you think so far?

LIVING ROOM TO-DO LIST
Paint Armoire
Paint Brick
Paint Table Tiles
Paint Hall Chest
Paint/Wallpaper Nook Walls
Paint Backdoor? Nope
Add Nailhead to Wingchair
New Covers for Barrel Chair Cushions
Clean Secretary


Pin It!


71 witty retorts:

  1. Love it! I've got a similar piece in my living room that I am deciding what to do with. Definitely thinking paint - but the color is a hard one! Thanks for the inspiration as always, liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blue color! Great choice! I do like how you rearranged as well. I do have to say (and I'm sorry) I just cannot get myself to like that mirror. It's the gold and black that I don't like. (don't hate me!)
    Other then that, it's really coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! That's one of my favorite paint colors on the market right now, and it looks beautiful in your living room! You are really plowing through your list. Love it!
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the new color! I'm a big fan of Martha's colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the color you chose Cassie! It looks amazing. You did a great job transforming it...definitely a "beauty" now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great color! Now you have your pretty pink bookcases and your blue beauty armoire. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a difference! Looks great and I love how it picks up the blue in the rug as well.
    I had a big red monster in our living room and finally painted it a swedish grey - what a transformation and I should have done it long ago as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done. I agree the hardware looks fantastic now - I actually had to go back to the 'before' picture to see what was there and was surprised to see it was the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks awesome! It makes me want to paint my version of the beast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new color! I wonder what a little gold rub n buff would like on the hardware? Might be really nice with that color. I need to start making lists like you do - maybe that would help me to actually complete a room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is beautiful!!! I am impressed with how you keep working away at The Plans! I also got a chuckle that is where you store your Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! What a difference Cassie! I LOVE the hardware-it really stands out now. You are so brave to paint on your hardwood floors! Im a messy painter and would have had it everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great color... so fresh and inspiring! Amazing how a simple color change can really transform the tone of the room! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! the paint makes such a wonderful difference! congrats on getting that finished. xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks so great. Did you paint it there in the living room? Thats where I often repaint stuff.



    Rashon aka Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous color! It really gives the room a completely different look. Love it! Moving right along on that list...can't wait to see the next step!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE THE COLOR!!! Great job! I'm so lazy.....ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous colour...I love how it picks up the blue in your rug...such a fabulous transformation!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are amazing! What a huge transformation. That shade of blue is perfect! Can't believe how much you've accomplished on your living room project already!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so great Cassie! I love that shade of blue, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You picked the perfect shade of blue! It even makes the armoire look smaller. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love seeing your list slowly become links to posts! Loving the color you chose. Way to make some awesome progress on the room!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like the new color. What a difference. Looks great, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks amazing Cassie!!! I've heard so much about that particular color--need to try it. Good job girl it's gorg. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing transformation! That blue hue is just perfect...you're inspiring me to get our breakfast hutch painted...STAT!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loving the blue! Isn't it amazing what a little paint can do!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks beautiful! Great blue! Martha Stewart has some fantastic colors. Your living room looks lovely, Cassie.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You smurfed it!!! And I LOVE : ) This must have been one hell of a project- that beast is HUGE! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I.freaking.love.your.house!!!! That blue is perfection Cassie!!! Seriously dreamy! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Girl you are getting me inspired to do some DIY projects. Now if I only I could stop eating and getting sucked into Reality TV I would be much more productive. That amoire rocks now, love the color choice. and I am super impressed with your ability to paint with such a tiny brush. Job Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amazing how a coat of paint can transform a piece of furniture! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The blue looks so great in your living room. Great choice, Cassie!

    And I sorta love how you didn't have to move or empty that sucker!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I actually think the blue armoire made the rug tie into the room better IMHO -- which is great! Now come and paint my master suite :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. The armoire looks fabulous! I recently painted a dresser in Plumage. Love all things peacock. http://wildwoodcreek.blogspot.com/2011/08/campaign-dresser.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've been on the Plumage bandwagon ever since Mrs. Brooklyn Limestone painted her dresser that color. Lovely, lovely, lovely. :)
    Heidi @ Show Some Decor

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've been checking in to see what colour you would paint it and it looks fantastic! I think the hardware looks gorgeous with that peacock colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh I am in love!! Your blue beauty turned out awesome. I have a smaller armoire I've been putting off painting. Now I am encouraged...especially since you skipped the inside. Bring it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love it Cassie- that color is awesome! I'm dying laughing that your Christmas tree is in there!!!! Your living room is looking so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. That is one of the samples I pulled -- glad to see that it looks amazing! You did a great job painting that. What a difference it makes. And of course, you know I like a post with TWSS reference. I thought of you today -- one of the partners at my office made a TWSS joke and I about died!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just now found your blog. LOVE. I love what you did with the cabinet!! Can't wait to read more of your blog!

    http://www.sincerelyarizona.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. Blue beauty is for sure a more fitting name now, it turned out fabulous! I'm completely impressed that you didn't even have to move it for this project...that is definitely my kind of project!!! (c:

    ReplyDelete
  42. The blue makes a huge difference for the better!!! Before the eye was bounced between "the beast" and the mirror. Now the mirror is the focal point and "the beast" looks fabulous! Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yet another reason to want to use MS Plumage!! I love this color. Beautiful work, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Looks fabulous! Love the color you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Looks fabulous! Your turned your beast into a real beauty!

    Hope you will bring one of your projects to my first Potpourri Friday Party this week - Friday, September 2. Link-up starts on Thursday afternoon. Without a doubt, your participation will help make the party better!

    ReplyDelete
  46. love it with the hardware! and I wish I could crank through to do lists like you!

    ReplyDelete
  47. You know, I didn't think it looked so bad before, but once I saw the finished product - WOW- what a difference. Excellent!

    I am a new follower from the Show and Tell Linking Party at Blue Cricket Design. If you have a chance come by http://messforless.blogspot.com and say hi.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  48. The paint color is awesome! I've been telling my mom she really needs to do this--she has a similar piece! Great job though, it really makes a difference!

    I'd love for you to share this at Show & Share!

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  49. Beautiful Color! Now it looks like it belongs in that room. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Gorgeous! We have the same armoire, and I'm dying to paint it as well. I'll have to show this post to my hubby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Great job and pretty shade of blue! You're right - your beast has become a beauty! enJOY!!

    xo Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love the Armoire color, great job it is PERFECT! I also love your list of things to do, I am going to use this for my Master bedroom that I am redoing, great idea!!
    Bonnie
    www.aweemeenit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. This looks great!! I love the blue color! Now I just need to get motivated to paint things blue in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love the color, it's so pretty all painted!
    OX
    Kristin
    Thanks for linking, I'll be featuring it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Love, love, love how pretty the Beast is now! Love the color! Blast, now I feel compelled to paint my massive armoire that's sitting in my craft room. Found you via Between Naps on the Porch. Tootles, Kathryn
    http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/08/little-goodwill-finds.html

    ReplyDelete
  56. I love the color! I would move the Armoire over to cover the pass through--even if you have to put greenery on top to cover it and then put a picture or mirror or something on the other side of the wall. Love love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  57. That looks fantastic! I have that same piece, and the rest of the collection. I just painted one of the dressers white and it looks so great. We were able to get the hardware off and had the same kind as you. We just pushed the handle in from the front and jammed a flathead screwdriver in the back to pry the two pieces that seem to be nailed into the back.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I have the exact same Armoir!!!!! It was sitting in my garage for a couple of years when I recently saw yours painted. You inspired me to paint mine a wine color with black glazing. I am sooooo happy I painted it. Did want to let you know....YOU CAN GET THOSE HINGES OFF!!!!!!!! Hubby used locking vice grips to pull and wiggle the nails out. I spray painted all the hardware a flat black and reinstalled with screws. Then painted the heads of the screws black to match the hinges.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I saw your blog - love the armoire. I have an idea for the opening into the other room - why not install some cute shutters? Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I recently painted a similar piece of furniture, but with the latex paint, my drawers "stick" and rip some of the paint off. How do you prevent this?

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hi Anon -- every now and then my drawers will stick, but if I'm gentle the paint stays intact. Nicks aren't avoidable though, and I use a q-tip to touch up the paint occasionally. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Your armoire looks fantastic. I have one similar to yours and painted it black to match the living room. It's getting ready for a new look once I find a color that matches the fabric for the curtains.

    You said you hate the opening...why not make a Roman Shade with two different print fabrics. One to match each room and the shades can roll up or down when you need to see from one room to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I can't believe it's taken me this long to find this post - I have an armoire that I've been wanting to paint a bold color and this is perfect! It's very similar to AS Aubusson Blue (which I just happen to have in my stash.

    Methinks I'll be painting soon - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  64. I just saw this post and have the SAME armoire- I have been contemplating painting it! Not sure what color yet- but I am liking yours the blue. I am also glad you showed it primed- so I can picture mine a lighter color too- if I go that route!

    Love your posts!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  65. I, too, have the same Mexican pine armoire, but I would never dream of painting over those beautiful pine knots and that great wood-grained look. It would have been better to paint the wall that blue and left the armoire in its original charming rustic state.

    ReplyDelete
  66. I, too, have the same armoire, but I would not dream of painting that wonderful knotty wooden exterior. You might as well tear my heart out. Better you had painted the walls blue and left the armoire in all its majesty than ruin the rustic natural pine of that magnificent piece.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. And unfortunately, because of insane amounts of spam, I've had to disable Anonymous comments for awhile. I just didn't need any more information on penis enlargements! But you can always email me! xoxo, cass