Main Navigation

 photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-Home.png photo HiSugarplum-Projects.png photo HiSugarplum-Organize.png photo HiSugarplum-Holiday.png photo HiSugarplum-Fashion.png photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-travel.png

Ad - Header Leaderboard

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Boston Cream Cupcakes

We celebrated Mr. Sugarplum's birthday this past weekend...with lots of food, a date night, and as we do every year...a Boston Cream Pie (his favorite)!

Except this year I was inspired by these to make it in a smaller form....Boston Cream Cupcakes!

boston cream cupcake


They are surprisingly easy to make, and lots of fun for the kids since there are multiple bowls to lick, and scraps to gobble up. All you need are some yellow cupcakes, custard filling and chocolate glaze.

100_5476

I'm a box cake girl, but always jazz it up with help from The Cake Mix Doctor. I wanted a dense cake, so I followed this recipe:

yellow cake recipe
Print picture for recipe card


As for the filling, you're welcome to make custard from scratch, or you can let Instant Jello do the work (duh). Follow the directions on the box for pie filling, which calls for less milk and results in a thicker pudding.

Next comes the fun part, assembly! This step is much easier if your filling is really cold, and you firm up the cupcakes by placing them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes first.

cupcake collage

1. Using a paring knife, cut a hole in the center of the cupcake, and remove the middle of the cake. Don't eat it (yet)!
2. Fill the hole with custard filling, about 3/4 to the top.
3. Slice off the bottom of the cake core (eat that!), leaving just a cake disc.
4. Replace the topper and gently pat down.
The final step is the chocolate glaze. You can make ganache from scratch, or you can let Duncan Hines do the work and pick up this 'amazing' glaze. (duh) And the product doesn't lie, it is amazing.

100_5484

Within a few minutes, the glaze sets to a dense, dark chocolate.

100_5499

I haven't exactly perfected the glazing technique, as mine is more blob than glaze. But whatever. You'd eat it.


100_5490

Since we were celebrating Mr. Sugarplum's birthday, I assembled a little bunting with scrapbook paper, string and cocktail picks. He thought they were goal posts. Mmmkay.

100_5489


The picture is borderline oogie, but trust me, we couldn't shove them in our mouths fast enough! TWSS Git in Mah Belly! And my face, hands and hair apparently (they're messy).

boston cream cupcake



Yep, so good you just want to bathe in them. Now that I know the secret of getting the creamy goodness in the middle, I foresee more variations of cake and cream!

What is your birthday cake or dessert of choice? Do you have the same one every year?

22 comments:

  1. My light chuckle while reading this post turned into a laugh-so-hard-I--almost-peed-my-pants @ "but whatever, you'd eat it." Flipping hysterical. And you're right. I would :)

    Happy birthday to Mr. Sugarplum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I might need to make these, soon! Of course your hubby would think it's goal posts, he's a man. :) Every year I have Creme de menthe cake for my birthday and my hubby even makes it for me. It's some serious goodness in a cake pan. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boston Cream Pie is my FAVORITE! Thanks for showing me an easier version to whip up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yumilicious! I love white cake with buttercream icing but my guy is a chocoholic all the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, my own Mr. would think they were goal posts too but "whatever, these things are yummo" would win out! Thanks for the ideas, Cassie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boston Cream is my hubby's absolute favorite. This is a fantastic idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hubby would love those! Growing up we always had Carvel ice cream cakes, but after we got married my mil would always make me a coconut cake when we'd visit during my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MM MM MMM! Those look delish! Love the little flag banner too! So festive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh good idea with cutting the middle out and popping it back on. You could do so many color combos for different occassions too!

    Pinning your little pom pom bunting for a monster birthday party :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheese Cake!!! I love cheese cake! I have it every year. Though your cupcakes might make me brake my cheesecake tradition..mmmm nummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um love Boston Cream pies...my aunt makes them for my uncle's birthday every year and they are my favorite. Love the cupcake idea!
    xo
    alexa
    www.theshortandthesweetofit.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So yummy. Haven't even stopped for lunch today yet, so I am going crazy over these photos. So delicious. And I have never seen that glaze product. Kids would go bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are looking delicious to me right now- love the middle part!!!!! I have the worst sweet tooth- just asked my hubby to go get me some ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look super delicious! And what a genius who came up with the glaze in a pour bottle - truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl, those look ridicously good! I think I just gained 5 lbs reading this because there is no way I would stop after just one of those babies. Me + Cupcakes = in love 4ever.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delish and fun to make! If my boyfriend liked Boston Cream I would go home and make a batch.

    My birthday cakes are usually chocolate cakes with whipped cream and strawberries (or raspberries). Although my high maintenance choice is a chocolate mousse cake and I'm talking the real thing, not what they pass for it in restaurants these days! For my last birthday I did a two day bakery crawl! Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My two year-old just walked up while I was scrolling through these pictures and exclaimed "OOOOO! YUMMY!!" Yep, that is *exactly* what I was thinking! (c:

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look Ah-mazing! Fave type of cake that i make all the time is banana bread but I'm also partial to the hummingbird cake with pineapple - yum! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday to Mr. Sugarplum! What a yummy treat for his birthday.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, yum and yum some more! Happy belated Birthday to Mr. Sugarplum. Those look absolutely delicious and with your instructions and pictures rather easy to make. thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bravo! My hubs loves Boston Cream Pie too...I might give this one a try. Love the cute little banner too. :) Visiting from the Pinterest Challenge today! I worked on a Pinned recipe too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great recipe! I will be trying it soon. Boston Cream Pie is a fav of mine.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. xoxo, cass

Google Analytics

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

rS tracking code

 

design + development by fabulous k