Project Update: Chevron Glasses

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I loved my Missoni-Inspired Chevron Glasses, but I goofed and put them in the dishwasher!!?? Ack, ruined. Cutting the zig-zags out of painters tape was just about the most tedious project I've done to date, so when I decided to make them again, I made some adjustments.


100_5712


So many of you indicated you were going to give these a try, so I thought I'd share what I learned my second go-round!

Picnik collage


  1. I chose glasses that had almost no taper towards the bottom. A glass that gets wider towards the top makes it difficult to wrap the tape straight. It wants to slowly slope upwards. TWSS This 4-pack was less than $5 at Target.
  2. I cut my zig-zags from contact paper, using the graph on the back as a spacing guide. Then I applied the sticky part to the glass. This method took 15-minutes for all 4 glasses....compared to the hours I spent cutting painters tape. The downside is the contact paper left some sticky residue on the glass.
  3. I allowed a wider space for drinking around the top. You know, just in case Angelina comes to dinner. Or Steven Tyler. Or Lisa Rinna. You follow?
  4. I rushed the painting this time around and the finish isn't as flawless. Slow, light coats is best.
  5. And my biggest improvement? I didn't put them in the dishwasher!!

100_5716

I had some chevron strips leftover, so I jazzed up a simple glass candle with them.


10-3-11 038


I used the same method as the glasses, but substituted Rustoleum Lagoon in place of the Frosted Glass.

10-3-11 037

I guess I'm pretty happy I goofed the first batch of glasses, since now I have the cutest candle to show for it! Okay, maybe that's a stretch. Anyone else giving this project a whirl?

Pin It!


18 witty retorts:

  1. Once again, they turned out awesome. Love the candle holder...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE them as a votive holder! what a brilliant project!

    xo Allison
    Spicer + Bank
    www.spicerandbank.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! I love the chevron candleholder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the candle holder. Cheers to happy mishaps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the candle holder. Cheers to happy mishaps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. too cute!! totally cracked up at your Angelina & Steven Tyler comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the candle holder, it really stands out! Spit coffee out of my mouth with your big lips comment! Maybe Ocotmom? Or someone from The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills? Hehehe... you were funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are too funny...Cute candle holder, btw! This project is on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look out Martha! Crafty queen - great projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. or steven tyler . . or lisa . . you are killing me. I like that you plan ahead. Very very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saw your black/gold mirror on pg.46 of Nov. House Beautiful. Good thing you swapped yours out in the nick of time. You MUST stay ahead of the trends. When do you open your store? Because I would love to purchase a Chaz Bono Mirror and a set of Steven Tyler Tumblers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this. I am dying to paint something chevron...

    ReplyDelete
  13. No way do I have the patience for this project. I love that you will try your hand at anything. Of course anything you do xomes out amazing. Love the candle holder!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute idea girl! They look great as a candle holder!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love them both, but really digging the color of the candle holder!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cassie, the glasses and candle holder are so cute. I was thinking of maybe trying it with a christmas theme, but I don't know if they would be as cute. I think I better try something simple at first until I get use to it. You did a fantastic job and they all look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. visiting from tatertots and jello- don't ya love it when a mistake turns into something great?! :D super cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very, very cute! I'm going to do some. Did you consider etching cream? You can then take the design to the top AND put them in the dishwasher!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. And unfortunately, because of insane amounts of spam, I've had to disable Anonymous comments for awhile. I just didn't need any more information on penis enlargements! But you can always email me! xoxo, cass