Main Navigation

 photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-Home.png photo HiSugarplum-Projects.png photo HiSugarplum-Organize.png photo HiSugarplum-Holiday.png photo HiSugarplum-Fashion.png photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-travel.png

Ad - Header Leaderboard

Monday, December 5, 2011

Fresh Wreaths - Boxwood & Rosemary

Hello and happy 20-days-til-Christmas! Ack! I've been a crafting machine, and this weekend I raided my backyard for supplies. If you follow me on Pinterest, then you know I'm smitten by Boxwood window wreaths, and tiny wreaths in bookcases. I could have picked up this one from Wisteria for a whopping $119. Or I could get busy making my own for about $3 each!

100_6450

Fortunately, I have a few Boxwoods in my backyard. Unfortunately, they aren't big and are slow growers. So I didn't want to completely butcher them for my project. To keep the amount of clipping to a minimum, I used a basic $3 Christmas wreath as my form so any gaps would be green.


Picnik collage

Simply make a little bouquet, wrap with a piece of floral wire, then attach to the form. Continue all the way around the wreath, keeping the leaves in the same direction. I used smaller bunches to cover any obvious holes, but since the wreath form is green, I didn't have to be too diligent about it. And the damage to my bush was minimal. (ohmygosh, best twss ever!) Each wreath required only 10-12 small bunches.

100_6438




100_6436

Is this room made for a trio of window wreaths, or what?! I hung them from clear Command hooks stuck to the wall just above the window.

100_6434


100_6450

Then it was back outside to clip some of the Rosemary that's taken over the yard. I used the same method, but attached the bunches to mini-grapevine forms. Hard to beat 1 dolla!

Picnik collage

I added them to the bookcases (read about their makeover here), along with some other Christmas decor.

100_6458

Last year's Glittered NOEL letters didn't fare too well in the off-season, but they're still a festive touch.

100_6465

I have several nativity scenes, but this one sits perfectly atop a stack of books.

100_6463



Picnik collage


So $11 later, I have five fabulous, natural and fresh wreaths! Mother Nature creates the best shades of green for Christmas, doesn't she? Are you using natural elements in your decorating this season? Don't forget, the Christmas Cheer Link Party continues tomorrow, with Mantels at Michelle's.


** Linking up to Home Stories A to Z, Tip Junkie, Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Just a Girl, Remodelaholic, The Shabby Nest, The DIY Showoff, TaterTots & Jello and Thrifty Decor Chick**

38 comments:

  1. Love these! I'm going to go butcher my boxwoods right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! My mom always made boxwood wreaths when I was growing up! My grandparent's home has a boxwood maze in front, so we have plenty to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want rosemary to take over my yard! The wreaths look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that room is just lovely! your wreaths are perfect. you have given me yet another reason to plant some box woods! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOve these!! They are absolutely perfect of your wall of windows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your wreaths!! So simple yet beautiful at the same time! They look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both of these and Im sure the rosemary smells awesome. I think I need to do this for our house too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this!! Boxwood is my favorite! unfortunately we dont have one but I did find some faux boxwood stems last year at Hobby Lobby and tucked them into a grapevine wreath. Now I DO have a HUGE rosemary bush in the front- so Im off to make me a wreath for the kitchen! thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cassie your bookcases look great with touches of Christmas. Why are decorating shelves so darn hard for me?? I love the mix of books, large and small scale items in yours. Thanks for sharing and also your wreaths are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the wreaths! Great idea. They are simple yet they really add a great holiday touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your TWSS made me laugh out loud and scare the dogs!
    It was BRILLIANT and a great way to start the week. Oh, love the wreaths and the bookcases are beautiful, but I also read you for your wit and great snark. Thanks - Ali

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to use what you had on hand - so natural and beautiful! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your wreaths!! I want to hang some in front of our windows too. I'm so jealous of all of your fresh greenery. Do you mind if I stop by and get some from your yard?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So well done! I wanted to make a boxwood wreath but it seemed a bit daunting, maybe I'll try you clever method! Pinning these...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great idea to incorporate the boxwood into the normal wreath. I was going to use boxwood on our hutch but when I went back to the store they were all gone. Shucks...maybe next year! And the mini rosemary wreaths are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the boxwood wreath - sadly I have none of this stuff in my backyard unless I wanted a gravel and homeless man poo wreath :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so right. Those windows are made for those. So beautiful. Lucky girl with the boxwood in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous job you did! Love your rug too, the entire room is so pretty and the wreaths just add to the festive mood. Thanks for linking up to the holiday copy cat. I would love if you added the cute little button made or my link would be fine too, just so others know you hopped in. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is all so gorgeous. So glad I just passed up the wreaths at Trader Joe's... I'm making my own! I have rosemary plants in the backyard that I know just what to do with :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. CLEAR 3M hooks?! I never knew! I've been trying to hide the ones holding up my stockings.

    great twss ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So beautiful!! I love the three in the windows! We still have hardly any decorations up in our house, but this is inspiring me! :) XO, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whoa! Gorgeous!! I love them both and bet your shelves smell amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how they look displayed across the windows...and your bookshelf with the pink print, gotta check out that post too! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Maybe its just the photography but I really like the slightly worn NOEL letters :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your wreaths looks beautiful! I so wish I had some boxwood and rosemary in my backyard. Maybe I better get planting for next year! Very pretty, Cassie.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous Cassie- and your living room looks SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those are so great. I'm jealous you have boxwoods! And your bookcase is looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Seriously, so gorgeous. Could be straight out of a catalog, for sure! Come make me some!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The wreaths are beautiful! Bet the room smells wonderful with that rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gah I love those wreaths, just $11?? I'm jealz.

    ReplyDelete
  31. GREAT ideas! So Simple yet lovely! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the boxwood idea! I'll have to go cut some tomorrow! I wish I had rosemary taking over my yard. I can't seem to keep it more than a couple years!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a great post! I remember pinning it last year and I can't wait to try it this year. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I was thinking -- would you want to link this post up to our Inspiration for the Season linky party? We're kicking off the season with ideas from year's past. Let me know! Best!

    ~Angela~

    ReplyDelete
  34. My husband took a giant machete to our rosemary bush this weekend. Before he could throw everything away I grabbed several handfuls to add to my garland. Unfortunately I didn't even think to make wreaths from what had been cut. What a great idea. Next year, definitely.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. And unfortunately, because of insane amounts of spam, I've had to disable Anonymous comments for awhile. I just didn't need any more information on penis enlargements! But you can always email me! xoxo, cass

Google Analytics

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

rS tracking code

 

design + development by fabulous k