Main Navigation

 photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-Home.png photo HiSugarplum-Projects.png photo HiSugarplum-Organize.png photo HiSugarplum-Holiday.png photo HiSugarplum-Fashion.png photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-travel.png

Ad - Header Leaderboard

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

{DIY} Deer Head Applique Tea Towel

Texas doesn't get much of a Winter, so I love to embrace all the shapes, fabrics and textures that accompany cold weather, as long as possible. Just because Christmas is packed away for another year, it doesn't mean we have to remove all traces of the chilly season. I had a hankering to make a custom tea towel, so I decided on an appliqued deer head. As long as there's no Rudolph nose, it's more Winter than Christmas!

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

The supplies are simple and inexpensive (isn't that a given for me?!)...plain kitchen towel, fabric swatch for applique, and Heat-n-Bond Lite. I found this pack of Kitchen Towels for a few bucks at WalMart, and my fabric is actually an old plaid scarf I no longer wear.

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

Ever since I made Faux Antlers, I've been smitten with deer heads, and thought the Wintery symbol paired well with the wool fabric. To get the shape, I searched 'Deer Head Silhouette' online, and traced it directly off the screen in the size I wanted, then cut it out.

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

Using Heat-n-Bond gives your applique better shape, and prevents movement or puckering when sewing. First you adhere the Heat-n-Bond to your applique fabric, then adhere the applique to your towel. Sounds complicated, but it really isn't.

Cut a piece slightly larger than your shape, lay the textured side directly on the back-side of your fabric, and iron the paper side to adhere the Heat-n-Bond. Then trace your shape on the paper side, keeping in mind it's the reverse.  

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

Cut out your shape, peel off the paper, and position the applique on your towel.

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

Iron it in place, adhering your applique to the towel. To keep the edges of the applique from fraying in the wash, you'll want to seal them with a simple zig-zag stitch.

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

Your eyes are not deceiving you....this is indeed a sewing machine...and I'm the one operating it!! Painfully Very slowly, I sewed around the perimeter of my deer head. Had I thought this through, I'd surely have chosen a much simpler shape as my first applique attempt!

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

Don't look too closely, but you get the idea of how it should look. Hard to tell, but I was indeed sewing sober.

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

And to further punish myself, I opted to add pom-pom trim to the bottom edge of the towel. Pom-poms are like frosting is to cake.

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

Considering this was only my second attempt at sewing (read my first tearful experience here), I think it's not too shabby. Granted I won't be opening an Etsy shop anytime soon. An experienced sewer could probably knock this out in about 30-minutes.

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

I pat myself on the back every time I see it hanging in my Kitchen. I'm already dreaming up applique options for the next season...or dare I attempt a monogram?!

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

Reindeer Applique Tea Towel

The Ikea sewing machine I had went bye-bye, and I'm making friends with a big-girl machine (thanks for the recommendation, Courtney, I loooove this one!) Hopefully that means I'll finish those Dining Room drapes I keep talking about. *snort* 

 Check out more fun and easy projects in the Project Gallery.

32 comments:

  1. So cute!

    Seems almost easy enough too. Love this project, and it looks beautiful in your kitchen.

    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Cassie! Love the deer and the Burberry-esque fabric you chose! Heat n Bond is like, the greatest thing since sliced bread... Love that stuff! I recently did an owl on a tote bag which turned out so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! And, you did a great job sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! See, sewing is super easy, as long as you aren't doing pleats, button holes and zippers (and even then, those aren't *too* bad, but can be very frustrating!).

    I just sewed a felt heart garland for my valentine tree. :D Now that's as easy as it gets. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cassie, I just love this! So great! xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute idea!!! I love the fabric you chose for the deer head & the pompoms are perfection. They are definitely the icing on the tea towel!
    FYI the one time I attempted applique I set my sewing machine on a really tight zigzag which did a better job of hiding my wandering stitches.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job! it looks soo cute! :)
    greets from germany!
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute is this. And I am so impressed you zig zagged your way around that. That is not for the faint of heart. Thanks for the shout out. So happy you like your new machine. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Cassie!!! If you do open an etsy shop...I would like to be your first customer! So impressed that you've conquered your fear of sewing machines. You totally inspired me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable! I would say I could makes these as gifts for people, but my sewing skillz would have to greatly improve!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you getting all fancy with your stitches! I'm impressed. Intimidation is the word that comes to mind for me. The sewing machine and I are not very good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable and would be the perfect housewarming gift for someone! I wish I could use a sewing machine!

    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete
  13. cool! I love the checked pattern. Great job as always Cassie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very impressed with your sewing skills! Zigzag edging still intimidates me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My first thought was- "oh no she did NOT cut up an old Burberry scarf!" hahaha! That would be sacrilege darling. It looks great and I absolutely adore pom pom trim and have been searching high and low for a scarf with some- seems I'm late to that bandwagon. Can you get trim like that at places like JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby?? Love the blog- thanks Cassie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally making these. Also, might make pillows. This idea is adorable! Also, thanks for updating us on the IKEA machine... I'm in the market and wondering what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so awesome...and Cassie, you are giving hope to sewing challenged women everywhere (aka, ME) (c; It turned out so great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty! The pom-pom trim is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so cute! I may need to look into making a few for friends!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Check you out! Way to go girlie! I really need to bite the bullet and learn how to sew. I'm sceered!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hunk it looks fantastic for your first appliqué. Which reminds I have to look for my sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh darn auto-correct on I-pad, I meant to say " think" not " hunk". :)

      Delete
  22. Hey Cassie! Love the Deer Head towel! You are so rocking the sewing machine lately. I also tried the same as you except I sewed a little elephant on a onesie for a friend's baby shower. It was so easy and turned out adorable. Keep sewing girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it! I never got around to sewing the deer head to my pillow. I just let it sit there all through Christmas just hanging on. It was felt so it could have been worse.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whoa! Look at you go!! In such a short time tackling the sewing scene and you made this great project!! I must say that you did a fantastic job zig zagging around all those antlers and curves...stopping the needle in the right place is key!!

    Great project and great sewing! I was actually on my way to Walmart tonight to look for dish towels for a different project but now I will have to get more for this one too!!

    Keep on sewin'...
    ~ Darlene
    www.MyHoneyBunch.CO
    Facebook = My HoneyBunch

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this! Think of all the things you can make on the sewing machine. I love mine. The possibilities are endless :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. YAYAYAYAY! It looks incredible and I am so proud of you for doing something so amazing with your sewing machine! You are inspiring me to get mine back out!

    Love the towel!

    xo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  27. You really did a great job on it. I can feel your happiness coming through the words when you walk by it!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. i luv it and you did amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I got the same sewing machine for Christmas and have used it twice. I better pull it out again. It really was easy to use, but the whole straight thing not so much. Can't wait to hear if you sew more stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely love this! Especially the re-use of the scarf, excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. xoxo, cass

Google Analytics

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

rS tracking code

 

design + development by fabulous k